The National Billboard Campaign for the Ordination of Women in the Catholic Church
began with two billboards in the city of Philadelphia, PA, in October 2020. Others followed in
South Bend, IN; in various locations in Louisiana, including Lafayette and New Orleans; in
Syracuse, NY; and in Pittsburgh, PA. And there are more to come throughout the country.
From the campaign: "A national billboard campaign launched by The Friends of Roy Bourgeois
advocating for the ordination of women priests in the Roman Catholic Church has come to many
cities. With the Catholic Church in crisis as evidenced by declining church attendance,
archdiocesan closings of schools and parishes, dwindling finances due to the clergy sex abuse
scandal, and fewer vocations to the priesthood—many Catholics feel that the time has come to
ordain women priests."
- Billboard letter to the editor at Syracuse.com ( with 50+ signatories )
- Billboard article by Zia Sampson,
"Billboard keeps conversation about women's ordination alive,"
in the University of Loyola's The Maroon, February 26, 2021.
Billboard article in Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, "Pittsburgh billboard calls for women priests in Catholic Church: Says end to male-only priesthood would help a church
February 9, 2021.
Billboard article by Sophie Vodvarka, "'Ordain women priests' billboard campaign expands to New Orleans: Project of laicized priest Roy Bourgeois finds support,"
in the National Catholic Reporter, January 28, 2021.
Billboard article by Ken Stickney, "Despite ouster, UL alum, ousted priest, continues to call for women to be ordained," in The Acadiana Advocate, November 20, 2020.
Notice of 'Ordain Women Priests' billboard coming to Lafayette, LA, in November 2020.
Older article and interview by Sabina Clarke, "Fulfilling a Childhood Dream: NE Philadelphia Resident Judy Heffernan is Ordained a Priest," in Irish Edition, May 22, 2011.
Judy Heffernan is the woman priest featured on the billboard.
- Roy Bourgeois gives address at the Denver Justice and Peace Committee Forum on May 18, 2019
- Advocacy and Exile:
Roy Bourgeois and the Fight for Women's Ordination, by Sophie Vodvarka, February 5, 2019
- Video (70 minutes): Roy Bourgeois speaks on Crisis in the U.S. Catholic Church:
Clericalism or the Gospel? on December 5, 2018, in Binghamton, NY Posted by Other Voices, Other Choices
Another scandal in the all-male priesthood, by Roy Bourgeois, August 23, 2018
Group petitions for reinstatement of former Maryknoll priest Roy Bourgeois, by James Dearie, July 9th, 2018
- Roy's KPFK radio interview with Blase Bonpane (World Focus), December 11, 2016 (mp3)
- The Inside Story:
Our Witness for Women Priests and Justice for Gays, by Janice Sevre-Duszynska ARCWP, November 15, 2016
Catholic Church Must Change Its Teachings on Homosexuality, by Roy Bourgeois, July 11, 2016
- Vatican Embassy witness, Holy Thursday, March 2016 (pdf)
- Priests offer support for women's ordination, by Thomas C. Fox, Septemeber 19, 2015
- Roy Bourgeois
led a U.S. delegation to El Salvador in August of 2015, to meet the women of Las 17 (pdf)
- D.C. witness for Las 17, Spring 2015 (pdf)
- The Columbus Dispatch,
March 13, 2015, "Advocate for women's ordination, gay marriage speaks in Columbus"
- New article by Roy Bourgeois appearing in International Studies in Catholic Education, March 2015
- In the Spring of 2014, Roy Bourgeois published an "Open Letter to Catholics" ad in two newspapers, the
Boston Globe and the Chicago Tribune.
Despite Excommunication, Door to Women's Ordination Not Closed by Roy Bourgeois, Religion Dispatches, September 25, 2013
Who Really Needs Conversion? by Roy Bourgeois, Santa Fe New Mexican, September 16, 2013
My Prayer: Let Women Be Priests an Op-Ed by Roy Bourgeois, The New York Times, March 20, 2013
- Democracy Now!
interview with Matthew Fox and Roy Bourgeois, November 27, 2013
- Keynote address by Roy Bourgeois at the Justice for Women Educational Symposium,
sponsored by Voice of the Faithful New York and Call to Action Metro NY, May 4, 2013
- A Priest Speaks His Conscience:
The Struggle for Justice and Gender Equality in the Catholic Church, Albany, NY, February 2013
- Fr. Roy at Claremont Graduate University, November 2012
A panel discussion preceded his talk.
Audience Q&A followed.
- Part 1 of address
to Women's Ordination Conference, Call to Action, and Wisdom & Word Works, Chicago, IL, March 2010; Part 2
- Speaking at St. Maurice Stephan's Church, Minneapolis, MN, August 27th, 2008
- Homily given at RCWP ordination of Janice Sevre-Duszynska, Lexington, KY, August 9, 2008